Monday, November 18, 2013

Today was meaningful - Because I'm a Twentysomething too

Jessica (in the red scarf)
http://todaywasmeaningful.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/because-im-a-twentysomething/


Today I hopped on to Facebook just like any other normal day. It really is a silly routine that I wish would stop, but can't. However, today I'm happy I went on. I came across a blogger who truly inspired me. Her name is Jessica and she runs the blog - Today was meaningful. She wrote a post called "Because I'm a twenty something" and obviously I can relate.

All to many times we are defined by our age. But why? Age is just a number...right? Jessica spoke of how all too many times people feel rushed by the ticking clock and sometimes we forget to just live and do what makes us....happy. We go on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...blah blah...etc, etc and see pictures of other people having fun and we feel pressured to show how much fun we are having too, but sometimes it's all smoke and mirrors.

Jessica struck a cord with me because as I was reading her post I already felt like I was losing my twenties and i've just begun them. I feel like I have so much to do, so much growing between the age I am now and the age i'll be in less than 10 years. I don't want to have a set date for how old I need to be to get married, or what age I should be to buy my own house. I want to live each day meaningfully and not have to worry about the "short term sacrifices and the long term gains" of growing up becoming an adult.

So Jessica, even though you may be only a few years older than me, I'm most definitely taking your advice:

"When you’re in your twenties, i hope you buy a plane ticket to Paris. i hope you get lost wandering all of the streets. i hope you travel the world and read lots of new books.  i hope you have interesting conversations over warm cups of tea.  i hope you drink out of mason jars while dancing barefoot in the grass. i hope you have a water fight in central park. set goals and change them. quit your day job. i hope you don’t do any of these things or that you do them all. write a book. change your mind. start new friendships and let go of the ones that you need to. say goodbye to all of the things that have kept you stagnant and vow to keep moving forward."

Just like how she explains how people feel at 25....20 going on 21 I feel like I have the world at my fingertips, I feel like I can conquer anything. I still feel like my dreams are within reach: get an awesome job, travel, move to a new place, fall in love. By the time I'm 25 I hope to do all these things, all while understanding that life throws you curve balls and sometimes the way you picture your life going doesn't always workout. I worry constantly about that. It might be my biggest fear picturing things the way I want and it not working out. I worry I won't be able to see the world "Fernweh – (noun) a craving for travel; being homesick for a place you’ve never been.", I worry about losing a member of my family and how different my life would be if that ever happened. So I don't miss a day telling the people I care about I love them. I don't try and guess what people think or feel I ASK. Because life is short and you should make everyday as meaningful as possible....because I'm a Twenty-something too. 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, I read every comment!